I was craving some mexican flavors … and love every recipe I have tried from NomNomPaleo.com. So, here it is: my version of “Oven-Braised Mexican Beef” adapted from NomNomPaleo.com.
- 2-3 pounds Beef Short Ribs ($14 from Meijer’s)
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Chili Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil (<$1 from Costco)
- 1 Organic Onion – sliced thin (@$1 from Meijer)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup roasted salsa (@3 from Meijer)
- ½ cup Organic Vegetable Stock (@ $5 from Produce Depot)
Preheat oven to 300°F with the rack located in the lower middle. Melt fat over medium heat in a large, oven-proof dutch oven. Add onions… …and sauté until transluscent. Stir in tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds……before tossing in garlic……and beef seasoned with chili powder, and salt. Toss well. Next, pour in salsa and stock, and bring to a boil. Cover pot and place in oven for 3 hours or until beef is tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. (At this point, you can store the beef in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat right before serving.)
Serve 4 people at approx $6 per serving.
I used the pan juices to cook up some organic veggies as a side: 1 leek, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini squash. They tasted fabulous!
You can top with cilantro and radishes, quacamole, etc. if you’ve got ‘em.