Maybe it is my German heritage. Maybe it is looking forward to being together with family over the holidays. Maybe it is the All Natural Buffalo Bratwurst I stumbled upon when I was in one of my local stores. Maybe it was wanting to try another recipe from NomNomPaleo.com – my favorite paleo blogger. Who knows? The point is that I found a recipe combination that really works – and again … it could not be any easier!
- 1 pkg All Natural Buffalo Bratwurst – fully cooked ($13 from Ultra Foods)
- 1 head Organic Cabbage – cut into 8ths (@$4 from Strack and Van Til)
- 1 Organic Onion – quartered (<$1 from Meijer)
- 2 Organic Carrots – cleaned and sliced thick (<$1 from Costco)
- 2 T Ghee (@$1 at Amazon)
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil (< $1 from Herb Thyme)
- 2 T Balsamic Vinegar (<$1 from Costco)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil. Lay the 8 wedges of cabbage in the baking dish in a single layer. Layer the onion pieces and carrots on top of cabbage and drizzle with melted ghee. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Flip cabbage pieces (using a spatula or tongs). Recover and braise for another hour until the cabbage is fork tender. Turn oven up to 425 F. Flip cabbage again. Arrange fully cooked bratwurst on top and cook uncovered for another 15-20 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and ENJOY!
Serve 5 people at approx $4 per serving.
My inspiration for this meal: NomNomPaleo’s “WORLD’S BEST BRAISED GREEN CABBAGE” at nomnompaleo.com