Looking for a delicious way to spice up your holiday meal? Or any fall meal for that matter? Look no further! I made this recipe late last night and cannot wait to enjoy it for dinner tonight 🙂
My inspiration was a recipe I found at theclothesmakethegirl.com. If you have not been there, you should visit. It’s one of my favorite “GO TO” sites with great information and amazing recipes. Of course, I did not have all the right ingredients – so this is my modified recipe:
- 6 Slices of Coleman Natural – Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon (@ $3 from Costco) – chopped
- 1 Organic Onion – chopped fine (@$1 from Meijer)
- 2 teaspoons TANDOORI spice blend (< $1 ordered online from Penzeys.com)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 5 Garlic Cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes – peeled and cut to 1.5″ cubes (@$1 from Meijer)
- 32 oz. Organic Chicken Broth (@$3 from Herb Thyme)
- 1 cup Water
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Cook chopped bacon in a heavy soup pot until it’s crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towels and set aside. Keep 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan (you can save the rest for your morning eggs). Add the onions, Tandoori, salt, pepper, and cayenne and cook over medium heat, until the onions are soft (about 5-10 minutes). Toss in the garlic and cook another minute. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Use an immersion blender (my favorite kitchen gadget!) to purée the soup until it’s smooth. Adjust seasonings if desired. Ladle into bowls, and top with a crispy bacon.
Serves 4 (large bowls) at under $3 per serving
AHHHH – Warm and Delicious Comfort!