I love the old-fashioned deli-style cranberry relish.
No, not the cooked jelly-kind of sauce that comes in a can. Fresh ingredients. Oranges and apples. So I was a little skeptical when I found this recipe with gelatin in it at ourpaleolife.com. Then – it was really hard for me to find all the ingredients. I ended up ordering several items through Amazon. But the result was worth all the wait! Of course, I made a few changes to the original recipe. Here it is:
- 2 Organic Gala Apples, cored and peeled (@$1 from Meijer)
- 2 Organic Navel Oranges, peeled and segmented (@$1 from Meijer)
- 2 cups Organic Cranberries, washed (@$5 from Meijer)
- 1 cup Fresh, Frozen or Canned Pineapple (@$2 from Meijer)
- *4 Tbsp Grass-Fed Gelatin (@$1 from Amazon) …but the full container cost @$20
- 2 cups Unsweetened Organic Cranberry Juice (@$6 from Amazon) …but the full container cost @$12
- ⅔ cup Raw Honey (@$3 from Amazon) …but the full container cost @$8
- Pecans for garnish (optional)
Bring cranberry juice to room temperature. Coarse-chop all fruit in a food processor or by hand. Set aside. Pour the cranberry juice into a 2 quart bowl. Add in the honey and whisk to combine, until the honey is dissolved. Sprinkle the gelatin onto the surface of the juice and let it sit for a minute to soften. Whisk the gelatin until dissolved in the juice. Add the apples, oranges, cranberries, and pineapple to the juice. Stir to evenly mix everything. Cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, until firm. Serve cold. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
This make a large amount … filled a 2 qt bowl, with another side dish for sampling!
My guess is that this recipe will serve 12-15 at about $1.50 per serving