The weather here in the Midwest has decided to become ridiculously cold … and what I wanted for dinner tonight was WARM and CREAMY soup. Lucky for me, I picked up some Organic Butternut Squash today while I was out – and it inspired a great new recipe to add to your cold-weather collection!
Oh – and it’s super easy to make, too.
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil (< $1 from Herb Thyme)
- 1 Organic Onion, diced (<$1 from Meijer)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 32 oz. Organic Butternut Squash (@ $4 @ Costco)
- 32 oz. Organic Vegetable Broth (@ $5 from Meijer)
- 34 oz. 100% Pure Coconut Creme (@ $10 from Amazon) … I keep a couple of these on hand in the pantry!
- 1 teaspoon Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Nutmeg
Melt the coconut oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, salt and pepper to the pot and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. When the onions are soft add the squash and broth and bring mixture to simmer for 20 minutes – until squash is cooked. Using a handy-dandy immersion blender, (or food processor or blender – but let the mixture cool before you do this and be careful!) puree the soup until mixture is smooth. Add the coconut creme, cinnamon and nutmeg to the pot and cook for 5 more minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and top with more cinnamon if desired.
Wasn’t that easy?
Stay warm, my friends!!
Serves 10 very hungry people at approx $2 per serving.